|Continue To Step 2|
Best Ways To Get Rid of Raccoons
If you have raccoons living in your attic, you need to get them removed as soon as possible due to their risk of carrying diseases as well as fleas, not to mention the thousands of dollars in damages they will do to your home over time. In this article, we will be discussing how to remove raccoons from your property, as well as how to prevent raccoons from getting into your yard and attic.
Unfortunately for those that are seeing this article after raccoons have already begun to enter your attic, live trapping is the only option which should only be done by professionals who have experience in dealing with raccoons.
It should be noted that this includes the use of one way traps when necessary to ensure the raccoon is able to exit the attic space, but unable to re-enter the home.
If you insist on trying to get rid of raccoons with a live trap yourself, rather than with the help of a pest control and wildlife professional, you will need to set up a live trap that they cannot resist. You also need to make sure that the trap is safe for pets and children, or you will have other problems on your hands.
The best way to get rid of raccoons is by setting up a live trap with their favorite foods such as grapes or peanut butter. We have also had the best success in the Plano, TX area with using wet cat food and canned tuna.
If the raccoon does not enter the trap within a few days to a week, try moving the trap around the property, close to areas where you can identify an entry point or if you have trash cans outside, this may be an area of success for a live trap when dealing with raccoon removal.
It should be noted that you should not set the live trap in the attic, especially in the summer time as the blazing hot temperatures we experience in the Plano, TX area would cause the raccoon to die quickly.
What to Do With The Raccoon Once It Has Been Caught In The Live Trap
Since raccoons are so intelligent, it is important to know the best way to handle the situation.
1. The first step is to cover the trap with a sheet or a tarp and tie it down securely.
2. Next, make sure that you have a container large enough for the animal and transport it as soon as possible to an appropriate release site, which should be at least 10-20 miles from your home.
3. The raccoon should be placed in the container without touching or handling it in any way; this will help ensure that there is no chance of being bitten or scratched by an animal that may not be completely docile at this point in time. It may also help avoid any diseases from being transmitted from one species to another if they are not handled properly.
4. Finally, after releasing the animal at its new home, make sure that you clean up all evidence of your presence and activity near where you released it so as not to attract other animals back into your territory or home area again.
How to Prevent Raccoons from Getting into Your Yard and Attic
Some of the most common ways to keep raccoons out of your yard are exclusion repairs, noise deterrents and repellents, and finally live trapping raccoon control.
Exclusion repairs are the best way to keep them out as they do not harm the animal and cost you far less money than waiting for them to become an issue as you will usually need insulation restoration services after a raccoon infestation.
Noise deterrents can also be used but they are not as effective as exclusion repairs.
Repellents can also be used but these should only be used in conjunction with other methods because they don’t work on their own.
Live trapping is a last resort option which should only be done by professionals who have experience in dealing with raccoons.
Conclusion: Preventative Exclusion Saves You Money and Headaches
In this article about how to remove raccoons from your attic and how to keep them from entering your attic in the future we discussed:
- Prevention is key- Rodent exclusion service/repairs on a home may seem costly up front (usually $850-3,500 depending on the home, as of 2022) but will save you almost 3x the money versus waiting until raccoons enter your attic.
- Live trapping service- In the event that raccoons have already entered your home, it is crucial that you attempt to have the raccoons removed from your home as soon as possible. If you live in the Plano, TX and Rowlett, TX area, Preferred Pest Management can perform raccoon removal services for you very effectively.
- Relocation and exclusion repairs- Once the raccoon has been caught, you will want to travel at least 10-20 miles away from your home when relocating the raccoon, and it is very important to have proper protection equipment when setting the raccoon free.
Needing Raccoon Removal in The Plano, TX Area?
If you live anywhere between the areas of West and North Plano, to as far east as Royse City, TX, Preferred Pest Management is always here to help you take your home back from raccoons and your go to company for all forms of wildlife removal near you.
Why Choose Preferred Pest Management
We’re passionate about helping people just like you get rid of unwanted pest and wildlife problems. As such, we are proud to be the only pest control company in Rowlett, TX promising excellence in value, service, and trust.
|Continue To Step 2|